Lightning Bolts are fairly strong, as they can defeat enemies and blow up cars easily. By pressing holding to aim and pressing to fire, the player can have Cole discharge simple Lightning Bolts from his hands. It is one of the most used powers in the game due to its lack of consumption of energy.
The Champion rank upgrade is named "Righteous Shot," and it costs 2900 XP. With this upgrade, the electricity from the Lightning Bolt used on one enemy can be chained to other nearby enemies, though this is only successful when the enemy's head is struck.
The Hero upgrade is named "Righteous Strike," and it costs 12000 XP. With this upgrade, Cole gains more energy from landing successful hits on enemies, and his health is also regained each time he strikes an enemy's head.
The Thug rank upgrade is named "Sadistic Blow," and it costs 400 XP. With this upgrade, an electric explosion can be triggered through the body of a defeated enemy.
The Outlaw rank upgrade is named "Sadistic Shot," and it costs 2900 XP. It increases the radius of the explosion, allowing it to hit more people and objects.
The Infamous rank upgrade is named "Sadistic Strike," and it costs 12000 XP. It causes each strike that hits an enemy's head to immediately trigger an electric explosion.
- Rather than there being one single Lightning Bolt power, Infamous 2 features Bolts as a class of powers, with Cole being able to swap between different types on the fly.
- The Hero and Infamous rank upgrades for the Lighting Bolt are the most costly upgrades in Infamous. Likewise, in Infamous 2, the Hero and Infamous upgrades for Bolts are the most costly.
- The Magnum Bolt in Infamous 2 seems to resemble the original Lightning Bolt of the first game but with a lower rate of fire.
- The Magnum Bolt retains the same speed as the original Lightning Bolt in Festival of Blood.
- In the introduction of Infamous 2, while fighting the Beast, the Lightning Bolts Cole fires are equivalent in every way to Rockets.
- In the first Infamous there is a bug in the game where you can use lightning bolt on any metal and then quickly suck up the energy to regain power, which was a life savior in powered out areas. The sequel fixes the bug.